Can I Sue the Other Driver for my Injuries? What Happens if I’m Injured as a Pedestrian or on a Bicycle?

post_accident_injuryYes, you can absolutely sue the other driver for your injuries. Sometimes the driver of the other vehicle is not the owner of the car. In that instance, you would sue both the owner and the driver of the vehicle that caused the accident and caused your injuries. Even if the owner is not in the car, and it is just somebody else driving the car, you sue both the driver and the owner. The owner is the one who is responsible for the car and who has given permission to drive the car. In addition, you would always sue the driver of the car as well.

When someone is injured, as pedestrian walking in the streets struck by a vehicle, or riding a bicycle struck by a vehicle, it is a little different than other situations, but the basic principles still apply. First of all, the vehicle that struck you, to their own insurance, is supposed to provide no fault benefits. Even if you’re at fault, that vehicle provides insurance to get your medical benefits paid and to get lost earning paid, if you’ve lost earnings from work. Then, the second portion of any claim like that, would be to sue that driver, or that vehicle owner, for the damages they caused by their negligence.

Contact the law office of Weinstein, Chase, Messinger and Peters. Dealing with auto accident cases throughout the Brooklyn, New York area, contact them for your free initial consultation.

Address Icon

We Practiced Over 50 Years At
26 Court St.
Suite 1503
Brooklyn, New York 11242

Currently Practice Resides At
40 Wall Street, Suite 2744
New York, New York 10005

Phone Icon 718-304-0550
Clock Icon

9:00AM – 5:00PM

About Us

The personal injury law firm of Goldberg & Chase, LLP. in Brooklyn, New York represents clients throughout the New York (NYC) metropolitan area, including the five boroughs: Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, Staten Island, and Queens. The counties we serve include Suffolk County, Nassau County, Westchester County, and Putnam County.