Do I have to sue my family or friend if I was involved in an auto accident if I was a passenger?

  • In a two car accident, if someone comes to me and they’re injured and I want to bring a claim on their behalf, I would typically make a claim against both parties/both vehicles, and let the defendants sort out who’s at fault.
  • Don’t forget, although it can be awkward, you, as a claimant, are looking for compensation for your personal injuries.
  • As to the friend or family member, if you don’t want to go beyond an insurance policy, you don’t have to.
  • We would not ever look for personal assets of a friend or family member who you sue, but only up to the limits of their insurance policy.
Address Icon

We Practiced Over 50 Years At
26 Court St.
Suite 1503
Brooklyn, New York 11242

Currently Practice Resides At
40 Wall Street, Suite 2744
New York, New York 10005

Phone Icon 718-304-0550
Clock Icon

9:00AM – 5:00PM

About Us

The personal injury law firm of Goldberg & Chase, LLP. in Brooklyn, New York represents clients throughout the New York (NYC) metropolitan area, including the five boroughs: Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, Staten Island, and Queens. The counties we serve include Suffolk County, Nassau County, Westchester County, and Putnam County.