How Much Time Do I Have to File a Lawsuit For My Brooklyn Accident Case?
- Generally speaking, in New York, the statute of limitations is three years.
- However, there are variations on those three years.
- For example, if the claim to be made is against a municipality, such as the City of New York or anything associated with the City of New York like police or fire departments, there are few different time limitations.
- You have to first file a notice of claim and that is a 90 day limitation.
- Then, after that, you have 1 year and 90 days from the date of the incident to file a lawsuit as opposed to if it’s a private entity, you have 3 years for a car accident or a slip and fall.