Points to know if I want to sue a municipality

The most important thing to know in bringing a claim against a municipal entity such as the city of New York, the New York City department of Education or any local town, village, etc., is that those are all considered municipalities.   There is a much shorter time frame to bring up such a claim.

This time frame is known as a statute of limitations.   Many people have heard of this phrase,but don’t know or understand exactly how it works. If you do want to bring a claim against a municipality you must file a notice of claim usually within 90 days. There are certain exemptions that would allow an exception past the 90 days, but you usually have to seek a court order to get that extension of time beyond the 90 days.  The safest thing if you are considering bringing a claim is to consult with an attorney as soon as possible to make sure that that notice of claim is filed within the 90 day time limit.

This blog was provided by Jules Messinger, an experienced Brooklyn premises liability attorney.

Check out our Premises Liability Education Series for free!

Address Icon

We Practiced Over 50 Years At
26 Court St.
Suite 1503
Brooklyn, New York 11242

Currently Practice Resides At
40 Wall Street, Suite 2744
New York, New York 10005

Phone Icon 718-304-0550
Clock Icon

9:00AM – 5:00PM

About Us

The personal injury law firm of Goldberg & Chase, LLP. in Brooklyn, New York represents clients throughout the New York (NYC) metropolitan area, including the five boroughs: Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, Staten Island, and Queens. The counties we serve include Suffolk County, Nassau County, Westchester County, and Putnam County.